The Department of Community Development is one of the three departments in the Faculty of Planning and Land Management, SDD-UBIDS. The Department started in the 2008/2009 academic year with the Bachelor of Arts (BA), Integrated Community Development Programme. The Department received its full accreditation from the National Accreditation Board (NAB) in January, 2010. Based on the experiences gained by the Department and the feedback received from key stakeholders, the Department has rebranded the BA, Integrated Community Development Programme as BSc. Project Planning and Community Development for re-accreditation. This is intended not to only make the programme more attractive and responsive to the needs of our stakeholders, but also to align the programme to the Faculty of Planning and Land Management, which is expected to run applied social science programmes. Other programmes introduced by the Department are Diploma in Project Planning and Community Development, MPhil Project Planning and Community Development and MSc Project Planning and Community Development.
To become the first class center of choice for the training of Community Development practitioners.
Ensuring the transformation and revitalization of communities in Ghana and other Third World Countries through the training of practitioners who are committed to community work, and equipped with practically-oriented and community-based problem-solving skills.
Our progrommes seeks to
- Train well-grounded class of project planning/ management and community development practitioners
- train students with analytical skills and right attitudes to effectively facilitate the transformation of local communities
- train students with the right set of skills for planning and managing community development projects.
The above training combines theory and practice. Aside the classroom theory, student are also exposed to practical training programmes including development workshops, the Third Trimester Field Practical Training and Industrial Attachments among other
Graduates of these programmes are expected to work in a wide range of organizations including;
- National Ministries, particularly the Ministry of Education, the Ministry of Gender and Social Protection, Ministry of Local Government and Rural Development, and their agencies,
- Metropolitan, Municipal and District Assemblies,
- Non-Governmental, and Civil Society Organizations,
- International Development Agencies,
- Financial Institutions,
- Academia, and
- Self-Employment through business enterprises