The SDD-UBIDS School of Graduate Studies and Research started in 2021 after the Simon Diedong Dombo University of Business and Integrated Development Studies (SDD-UBIDS) gained autonomy from the parent university, the University for Development (UDS) through Act 1001, 2019. The SGSR coordinates the running of all graduate programmes (full and part-time, sandwich, and weekends) offered at the various faculties/schools of the University. The School facilitates graduate programmes that lead to the award of Postgraduate Diploma, Master of Arts (M.A.), Master of Science (M.Sc.), Master of Commerce (MCom), Master of Philosophy (M.Phil.), and Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.). The School is poised to place graduate studies at the fulcrum of the research agenda of the University.
SGSR: Research, Innovation, Collaboration, and Excellence for Development
To be a centre of excellence for innovation in graduate studies and research.
To provide a congenial environment for the training of highly skilled human resources and quality knowledge production through interdisciplinary studies and applied research through:
- deploying flexible, diverse, practical, policy-relevant graduate programmes using technology to meet the diverse needs of graduate education in the world especially in Africa;
- providing a platform for the conduct of quality research and research outputs that resonate with the development needs of our sphere of influence and beyond; AND
- developing the human resource and technological capacity in order to deliver timely, quality, relevant and flexible graduate education to our clients.
In collaboration with relevant academic departments and DAPQA, the School of Graduate Studies and Research shall seek to achieve the following policy objectives:
- Design and deliver innovative programmes that address national and international development needs, especially the Sustainable Development Goals;
- Ensure the accreditation of all academic programmes in line with relevant national and professional requirements;
- Provide timely and effective supervision of student research;
- Promote research integrity in students and staff work;
- Progressively increase graduate enrolment to at least 25% of total student enrolments by 2027;
- Promote female enrolment in academic programmes to 30% of graduate students by 2027;
- Attain a graduating rate of at least 70% of each cohort of students every year;
- Promote effective mobilization and efficient utilization of and management of resources for graduate studies and research;
- Adopt appropriate technological innovations in the administration and delivery of teaching and learning as well as research activities; and
- Ensure that all activities and programmes are guided by the appropriate institutional policies, rules, regulations and procedures of the University.
Activities of SGSR
The SGRS is responsible for initiating and developing polices, rules and regulations to guide teaching, learning and research at the graduate level in the University. The School also processes all graduate theses for examination and conducts VIVA VOCE for students. The School complements the teaching and research activities of the Faculties/schools through the organization of ongoing graduate academic and professional development workshops/seminars for students as well as providing support services as internships, recommendation letters, transcripts, etc. to students and alumni.