The Governing Council of the SD Dombo University of Business and Integrated Development Studies (SDD-UBIDS) invites applications from qualified and competent persons for the position of Vice-Chancellor of the University which has become vacant.
ABOUT THE UNIVERSITY
The SD Dombo University of Business and Integrated Development Studies was established in 2019 by an Act of Parliament; Act 2019 (Act 1001), as a public tertiary institution to be an outstanding internationally-acclaimed applied research and practical-oriented educational institution, dedicated to the development of business and integrated development studies and other related disciplines. The University is located in Wa, the capital of the Upper West Region of Ghana.
THE POSITION/JOB DESCRIPTION
The Vice-Chancellor shall be:
- under the direction of the Council Chairman and the Governing Council of the University
- the academic and administrative head and the chief disciplinary officer of the University
- responsible, in accordance with the Statutes and the decisions of Council and the Academic Board, for organizing and conducting the academic, financial and administrative business of the University
- able to keep the Academic Board informed of the decisions of Council and shall also keep Council informed of all major decisions of the Academic Board.
- responsible for maintaining and promoting the good order and efficiency of the University
- responsible for the development and promotion of world-class, high-quality university education
- responsible for initiating and implementing the Strategic Plan of the University, subject to approval by the University Council
- required to advise the Council and Academic Board of the University on all matters affecting policy, finance, governance and administration of the University.
NB: The Vice-Chancellor may delegate any of the functions established by the Statutes to Senior Members of the University as deemed appropriate.
THE CANDIDATE’S ATTRIBUTES
Academic Background, Skills and Experience in Higher Education
The applicant must:
- be of professorial rank, preferably a (Full) Professor
- be a distinguished and internationally acclaimed scholar with academic qualification of Ph.D or its equivalent
- have broad experience and depth of knowledge about tertiary education in Ghana
- have a good understanding of the challenges facing public universities in Ghana in particular and higher education in general
- be of good character, able to inspire, direct, motivate and drive staff to achieve academic excellence
- have immense experience in high level management in a university or corporate environment
- have considerable managerial and administrative experience in higher education (at least seven years) and demonstrable ability in fundraising for supporting the growth of the University
- have good business prowess, display creativity in vision and be able to manage large resources to achieve set goals
- have mature and sober judgement, excellent interpersonal and communication skills as well as be a team player.
TENURE OF OFFICE
The appointment, which is full-time, shall be for four (4) years in the first instance and may be renewed for a further term of up to four (4) years only after evaluation of the Vice-Chancellor’s performance. He/She must be able to hold office for four (4) years from the date of first appointment before attaining the compulsory retirement age of sixty (60) years.
CONDITIONS OF SERVICE
Very attractive terms and conditions of service will be specified in the instruments of appointment.
MODE OF APPLICATION
Applicants should submit the following:
- An application letter (Times New Roman, font size 12 and 1.5 line spacing)
- A vision statement of not more than three thousand six hundred (3600) words (Times New Roman, font size 12 and 1.5 line spacing) outlining how the applicant would contribute to the University’s Mission and Vision and the strategies for achieving the vision during his/her tenure of office as Vice-Chancellor
- An updated Curriculum Vitae (CV) including names and addresses of three (3) referees who can attest to the qualities and character of the applicant
- The applicant should request the three (3) referees indicated in the CV to submit reports on him/her directly to the address indicated below
- The applications should be submitted in soft copies via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Seven (7) hard copies of the application must be hand-delivered in a sealed envelope or by registered courier marked “Application for Vice-Chancellor, SDD-UBIDS”, to the Registry of the University and signed for
- All applications should be addressed to the Chairperson of the Search Committee to the address below:
- Deadline for submission of all applications is Monday, March 4, 2024, at 5.00 pm.
Search Committee for Vice-Chancellor, SDD-UBIDS
C/O Office of the Registrar
P.O. Box WA 64 Bamahu, Wa,
Upper West Region, Ghana.
Search Committee for Vice-Chancellor
c/o The Office Manager
Universities of Ghana Overseas Office
Ghana Universities House
321 City Road
London EC1V 1LJ